• Browse in Paternoster’s quaint bric a brac shops.
• Experience creativity unfolding with a visit to Paternoster’s art galleries and pottery studio.
• Stroll along eight kilometres of pristine white beach.
• Don’t miss out on a taste of local culture by sampling some of the local specialties such as pickled mussels, sun dried snoek biltong or salty 'bokkoms'.
• Wait with the seagulls on the sun-bleached boulders for the fishermen’s boats to return with their daily catch to the village harbour.
• Hike or take a 4×4 route in the nearby pristine natural wilderness of the 263-hectare Cape Columbine Nature Reserve at Tietiesbaai. The reserve, about 5km from Paternoster, has many charming rocky coves along the coastline.
• Take a sea kayak on an ocean adventure to view the marine life dolphins, seals and whales that enter the bay in season.
• A must-have experience is the magnificent wild flower displays every spring (between August and September/October).
• If you’re a birding enthusiast, seize the opportunity to view over 200 species in the area, including African penguins, egrets, Cape Cormorants, Arctic terns and endangered black oystercatchers.
• Go kite surfing, snorkeling or scuba diving.
• Horse riding as well as mountain- and quad biking activities are also available.
Remember to check beforehand as all outdoor activities on the West Coast are always weather dependent.
• Go on a tour of the neighbouring vineyards on the West Coast Wine Route. Buy a few bottles of select wine to enjoy back at your cottage.
• Request a picnic basket and experience Tietiesbaai a few kilometers outside Paternoster (part of the Columbine Nature reserve). This is also a great place to collect handfuls of shells as a reminder of your trip.
• Visit South Africa’s last remaining manned lighthouse in the Cape Columbine Nature Reserve. Built in 1936, the light from this marine beacon shines 32 nautical miles (60km) out to sea.
• Explore the scenic country villages of the Swartland area, known for its undulating wheat fields and farmlands.
• Walk among the beautiful indigenous coastal fynbos in the West Coast National Park Walk in Langebaan (about 45km away).